Thursday, May 15, 2014

Science Experiment. Part 2 Paper Experiment

Science experiment:


Question: What will happen to the sound if I change the shape of a piece of paper? (e.g. from a flat shape to a funnel shape)


Links to research about Sound:
Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that it will the sound will get louder and quieter every time I change the directions.


Materials needed:
A Flat Paper, Your self, Tape, and a tissue.
Experiment (procedure):


e.g. Step 1 - First hold a flat piece of paper against your ear. Block your other ear with your hand. Get your partner to speak to you. What is the sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 2 - Next, roll the piece of paper into a funnel shape. Put the funnel against your ear. Face the funnel towards your partner and listen to them speak. What does it sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 3 - Next, face the funnel to the side while your partner speaks to you. Does it make a difference to the sound that you can hear?

Step 4 - Put some cotton balls or tissue paper into the funnel to block one end. Does it make a difference to the sound you hear? Is the sound quality the same?


Step 5 - Next, roll the piece of paper up and face one end of the paper roll towards your partner. Listen to your partner speak. Is there a difference to the sound you hear?


Step 6 - Finally, turn to the side with your paper roll and listen to your partner speak. What is the sound like?

Data (What happened?)



Shape/object/materials
Results:
1
flat piece of paper
clearer? Didn’t make any difference.
2
funnel facing to the front towards partner
It actually sounds really loud
3
funnel facing to the side (opposite partner)
Its more quieter than when it was facing towards my partner.
4
cotton ball blocking funnel
I could hear echos
5
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the front)
It was really loud. It even made my ears hurt.
6
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the side)
It was normal.




Observations:
When I put the flat piece of paper to my ears it did not make any difference. But then when I got to fold it, it finally made quite louder sound. As I switched the funnel to the opposite side of my partner It was more quieter than when it was facing towards my partner. Then it was time to put the tissue in it and the weird thing was that all I could hear was echos. The rolled piece of paper - It was REALLY Loud, and it even made my ears hurt. Then it was finally the rolled up piece of paper (facing to the side) Which was normal.

Conclusion:

Just like my hypothesis said. And my Observation. Every time I had switched my funnel to the opposite side of my partner it was quieter and different.

No comments:

Post a Comment