Thursday, June 12, 2014

Tamaki Tech ~ Hard Materials

Being a year 7 is weird but cool at the same time. This year was the first year my friends and I had been to Tech (Technology). Classes 2, 4 and half of class 1 get the opportunity to go Tamaki College for Tech on Thursdays. But classes 3, 5 and the other half of class 1 go on Tuesdays. Which is today.

Once we get to Tamaki we then depart of to our classes. The first class I was put in was Hard Materials. Taught by Mr Grundy. We had a lot of naughty boys who never listened, and didn’t even get their projects finished. In our class we had created Necklaces.

But I'm sure next year we would probably be different. The most scared and dangerous thing I did was using the scroll saw. Which cuts the wooden part into shape. I had created my sisters initials which are T.M. I didn’t get to finish it but I really enjoyed creating it.

Then when you have finish using the scroll saw. You then ask Mr Grundy to tip in the pewter. Once we took it out we had to file it until it gets smooth. I finished filling it and then we had to sandpaper it. Grits - 180, 400 and 1200 and you also have to sandpaper it hard to get a great finish.


When you have finished sandpapering. You start to create your string for you're Necklace. Then you're Done.

It was a great opportunity for us to learn about the different Medals in Hard Materials.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sela
    Thanks for sharing your experience at Tamaki Tech. You added lots of detail in your writing which was great! Just remember to proof read and edit your work. Check capital letters too. Did you mean 'medals' or 'metals'?

    ReplyDelete